Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Sticks and Stones...

I have never considered myself a gossiper and I have made strides to steer clear of those I thought were especially negative in their outlooks, both of life and others. (Needless to say, I am working to eliminate the nightly news from my life as we speak!)

But this book brought forth a revelation...just like the author prayed for in his introduction! One hasn't done enough to stop negative speech or hurtful words by just not saying them...even just being part of the conversation lends to the negativity the speaker has begun!

"An evildoer gives heed to false lips; a liar listens eagerly to a spiteful tongue." (Proverbs 17:4)

Wow.

Dr. Sedler's call to action for all of us to avoid negative speech seemed a bit impossible to me at first, but after much underlining and high-lighting, I have begun to see how his methods can work...and how it is not only important for me to bridle my tongue, but to ensure that we are all gently guiding others to do the same.

We all know how damaging words can be.  This book can help you to discern and identify the negative words of others so that they can be stopped before the damage is done...and instead start a dialogue of a positive nature that the world needs so much more of!

This book is a great read, not condescending as many Christian writers have done in self-help books such as these, and really does provide strategies for change, not just lecture. The author places very thoughtful questions at the end of his chapters to begin the process within which sets up the resolve and provides the tools to begin this journey towards "positive words in a world gone negative."



*Thanks so much to Chosen books for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for my own, personal, honest review.*

No comments:

Post a Comment